Wednesday, August 8, 2012

SSSsssSSSuper Cute Creeper Cakes

Another geeky post again, folks! As I've said before, my boyfriend and I are kind of...nerds. We both play a variety of games, and we don't necessarily have the same taste in games. But one of our favorite games to play together is Minecraft. If you're not familiar with Minecraft, it is basically a game in which players can build anything they imagine out of cubes in a 3D world. The concept is simple (Read: sounds dumb), but it's a lot of fun! There are also monsters in the game, and probably the most well known are the creepers. Here's what a creeper looks like in game:
Terrifying, isn't it? ;)

So for Broc's birthday, I decided to replicate these creeper cupcakes I found on Pinterest, originally created on the Candy Bar Cupcakes blog. Here's how my cakes turned out:


Do you see the resemblance? Instead of using chocolate cake, I just made a white cake and colored it green to match the face. The black for the face is made from sugar paper- I used a square paper punch to cut out the eyes and totally free-hand cut the mouth. My favorite part about making these was the technique used to make the different shades of green on the icing (Also explained in the original blog post- check it out here). It's so simple, if you guys ever find an opportunity to try this kind of technique, you so should. To shade the cupcakes, I made a template out of a piece of cardboard and cut out squares and pixel-y (is that a word?) shapes. Then you put your template over the cupcakes and give it a quick spray with green Wilton Color Mist. So. Simple. Anyone else tried this technique? I can't wait to try it out again!

So there you have it! Easy creeper cupcakes for my awesome gamer boyfriend. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment