Sunday, September 20, 2009

Not your ordinary biscuit...

Ok, on to the next order or business: biscuits. I love a good biscuit. All that buttery goodness...Mmm... OR, with some gravy for breakfast! That is one of my most favorite breakfast dishes!!! Man I could go for some biscuits and gravy right now, even though it's almost 5 in the evening. ANYWAY, you get the picture. Biscuit=love. Not my all time love or anything, just love. So I was pretty excited to find out that we'd be making biscuits in lab class. And these weren't just any ordinary biscuit. No, no, no, they were super savory biscuits, with olive oil, and chives, and cheese...pure bliss, I tell you. So, to start, here's what they look like:









Yes, you can just see that chives and cheesy goodness! And the recipe is pretty simple, which is definitely a plus. You just combine the dry ingredients, combine the liquid ingredients, and mix together, just like the muffins. Okay, here's the recipe. You should DEFINITELY try it!


Savory Drop Biscuits


All purpose flour 4 1/2 oz.
Baking powder 1 tsp.
Baking soda 1/4 tsp.
Salt 1/2 tsp.
Smoked paprika 1/4 tsp.
(You can do regular paprika also, but the smoked is REALLY good)
Fresh chives, minced 2 Tbl.
Swiss cheese, grated 1 1/2 oz.
(The recipe actually calls for cheddar, but we used Swiss- you can use whichever you prefer)


Buttermilk 3 1/2 oz.
Olive oil 1 oz.


Really simple, mix together the dry ingredients, then mix together the liquid ingredients. Then combine the liquid into the dry until completely combined- the dough will be soft. Scoop your biscuits onto a parchment lined sheet pan (or half-sheet pan). Bake at 450 degrees for approximately 12 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.


Totally easy, right? Yeah, I thought so too. I think these would be awesome with like a barbecued steak. I hope you like these as much as I did. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment